nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a ten year old Keeshond, she is spayed, just recently

Hi, I have a ten year old Keeshond bitch, she is spayed, just recently she has had fleas, I treat them, spray the house, deflea her then 10 days later it fleas are back. What can I do to break this horrific cycle
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did you treat her with?

What house treatment did you use?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Frontal drops on her neck and can of flea spray from the vet
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

What was the brand of spray? Does it say it has IGR (insect growth regulator) in it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it says S-methoprene
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

First, I do have to note that this is becoming and increasingly common situation on our country. Frontline (what I suspect you meant), since it has been on the market for a good wee while now, is starting to let us down. We are seeing resistance to this brand of flea product and treated dogs still having fleas. Therefore, if it has been over a fortnight (since we do need to delay between treatments) since you last put that on her, it would be ideal to consider swapping to a newer alternative with less resistance (ie Advocate, Advantage Multi, Activyl, Advantage II, Revolution, Stronghold, etc). This will ensure that she is adequately protected and break that bite cycle she is caught in.

Otherwise, you were right to treat the house and I am very glad that you are using a product with an insect growth factor. This is because this should help prevent larvae and eggs from developing to become the next wave of adult fleas biting him. So, we do absolutely want to keep up with that as we start better addressing her treatment. As well, it can often help hoovering carpets and soft furnishings (and/or washing those that can be) to remove as many in the house as possible. Finally, if your garden is rife with fleas, then the next step would be to have it treated as well to remove those the spray isn't reaching and further help get this outbreak under control.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.