Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have Tibetan terrier puppy and few days has been leaving

Customer Question

I have Tibetan terrier bitch puppy and for a few days has been leaving urine patches where she sits or if she is being held. I have had her for 9 days and she is 17 weeks old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she urinating more frequently?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not really and no other symptons
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when urine leaks involuntarily when the patient is at rest this is called: "Urinary incontinence." There are many different types of medical conditions in dogs that will cause urinary incontinence. In a puppy one of the most common conditions are a condition called "ectopic ureter." Basically what this means is that one or both of the tubes that bring urine from the kidneys into the urinary bladder (ureters) are not dumping the urine in the bladder, instead they bypass the bladder and dump the urine further away from the bladder either in the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina/penis) or vagina. This is a congenital malformation of the ureters. To diagnose she will need advance imaging (CT-Scan) of the urogenital system. Treatment is surgically re-positioning the ureters where they belong.

Could there be other causes? Yes, we can also see urinary incontinence with urinary tract infections, renal disorders, etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home, the first place to start in this case is with a hands on examination with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.