Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is an 11/12 year old Labrador collie. She's been a

Customer Question

Hi there, my dog is an 11/12 year old Labrador collie. She's been a little off for 2 weeks or so and we took her to the vets for her boosters last week. The vet said that she was acting a little off because of her age. This has got worse today and she is now not eating (hasn't done in 2 days), isn't moving and now has severe shakes. Can I have some advice on what to do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd like a written reply please as we will probably be taking her to the vets tomorrow but are very worried about her at the moment.

No problem Olivia, just typing out your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Olivia

Sorry to hear Annie is feeling unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over tomorrow as you intend to do, you cannot be too careful with the health of older dogs like Annie. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is lethargic not eating and shaking makes me think that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible. In her age group these symptoms could be secondary to some other ongoing situation such as liver or kidney disease and a myriad of other problems but your vet will run a blood profile if in doubt and this is never a bad idea as it often helps to pin down exactly what could be going on.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is taking fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today { I am in a very different time zone to you } so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Annie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am so sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you ever so much for this. She's lay comfortably at the moment in the lounge with us but we will make sure she is comfortable before we go to bed. I will definitely contact you in the future of need be (hopefully not if you know what I mean!) thank you once again.

Hi Olivia,

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Olivia,

I am just checking back in to see how Annie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her lethargy and other symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.