Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My friends dog (a Beagle) has not eaten all day despite

my friends dog (a Beagle) has not eaten all day despite leaving food for him; and has thrown up 4 times now - mainly bile. a few minutes ago the bile was pink. he is very lethargic. He has been drinking water and urinating ok but has not had a bowl movement although he did try this morning.
i'm looking after him while she's away buy do not know what to do for him any suggestions please
Lorraine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did Nelson get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - not that i have noticed although the back garden is covered with wood chippings but i haven't seen him chew them.
2 - not that i am aware of. He's a friends dog that i'm looking after while she's away
3- about 2 stone i think but i don't know for sure
4 - he's very lethargic he's been sleeping a lot today which is just not him at all; he's normally very hyper but now seems to have no energy at all
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, he is not eating because he does not feel well. The big question here is: Why is he vomiting and lethargic? Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I am a bit concern about the pink color, this could be blood in the vomit which can be caused by any of the above mentioned diseases especially a foreign body.

I understand you are watching Nelson for a friend. I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as initial screening test as soon as you can. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. He may also need supportive care (IV fluids, antiemetics, etc.). In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.