Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Cavachon is 11 months old. She is in need of a grooming,

My Cavachon is 11 months old. She is in need of a grooming, her coat is thick anan'd long. I took her out today and she began shaking her head and sometimes yelping. The crying became worse when we were home and she is obviously in pain and very uncomfortable.Although she normally trusts me she is wriggling and shrieking in pain if I try and look for the problem,which seems to be around her right ear, I can't find anything obvious. I offered her and our Bichon a treat, she obviously wanted it but when she tried to take t she yelped and ran away. This is VERY unlike her, she must be in a lot of painand I cant help her, I cant take her to the vet until tomorrow its now 1.30am - I dont know if the problem is something in her ear or something around her ear, does your experience give you any ideas and is there anythingI can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you able to look inside her ear canal?

2- Is she walking any different?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can't easily look into her ear without holding her hard. All I can see is hair
She is holding her head slightly to the side but is not walking differently
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- So she has a head tilt toward the side where she is painful?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only symptoms are pain - she is very scared and jumpy I cant really tell if the problem is IN her ear or not
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has run upstairs and is hiding which is why I havnt rung you - but I could go and fnd her if you feel it would be best
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the fact that she has a head tilt I am inclined to believe she has an ear infection. When the ear is inflamed it can be very painful, this can explain why she is reluctant to let you look. Less likely she could have a pulled muscle or pinched nerve along the neck. For now, I would recommend not trying to look inside her ear canal, this is going to cause more stress for her and pain. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to give at home or over the counter for pain, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. For tonight, just keep her comfortable and let her rest. Follow up with family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ihave just beenup to see where she is, She seems to be settled but she never normally goes off on her own like this. I'll follow your advice, thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

It is common when a dog is in pain to want to separate themselves, this is why it is best you don't try to look or she is going to run away from you.

You're welcome.