Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a Toy Poodle who is on occasions excessively licking

Customer Question

We have a Toy Poodle who is on occasions excessively licking the floor. He is so focuses on doing it that he will not respond to calling in attempts to interrupt him. We are mystified as to why he does it. He is 6 years old and in the pat 12 months as had 3 epileptic fits. He is on medication for this condition.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I too have a dog that does this. It can be related to nausea but with the obsessive nature of the act I suspect it is more an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). I use an over the counter supplement that is fairly effective for this but not 100%. Exercise certainly can help tire the brain, 30+ minutes once to twice daily leash walk can help

CLICK HERE for a link to the product I use, I am unsure if it is available in France but looking for the active ingredient of theanine is key. I have started with 1 chewable for medium and large dogs twice daily (these supplements are safe at the higher dose) as this can take up to a month to take full effect then if helpful you can try tapering to 1/2 chew twice daily. My 7 pound dog is currently on the 1/2 chew twice daily dose

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I will be away from my computer in about 30 minutes for the afternoon (In the states) to see appointments but will respond this evening if I miss you...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!