Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My labrador had runny poo so I starved her hours. She has

Hi, my labrador had runny poo so I starved her for 24 hours. She has just had a meal reluctantly and had a poo but it is red. The vets will open on Monday. Do I need an emergency vet or will it wait.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your Lab. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. How much blood would you say that you saw? A lot or just a small amount?

2. Is she lethargic?

3. Can you tell me the color of her gums?

4. Is she drinking?

5. Have you fed her yet? Is so, what did you offer her?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is normally bouncy. She is very cuddly at the moment. I took her for a walk last night and no pulling. She is a black lab so her gums are brown and pink. I haven't seen her drink a lot of water today. I had just fed her about an hour ago after 24 hour starvation. It was her regular dry food which she normally wolf's down but it took her about 20 minutes to eat. She went straight out to the toilet and it was all a brick red colour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken photos but it says the image is too large to send on here. Any way I can email it?
Thanks Karl
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Karl,

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information. A photo of what she's producing may be very helpful. The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I may not need to see the photo to respond back to you but I'll wait to do so in the event you're able to send it. You could email it to customer service but there's no way of telling when they might forward it on to me, unfortunately:( Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you but I have clicked on the link to follow the instructions and can't even see step one on my computer. I just have a box to type my reply and a send button. Can you give me your advice without the photos. I will keep my photos and take them into the vets on Monday or should I need to call them out tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry that you're having difficulty sending the photos you took:( For some reason, this seems to be a problem for some but not others.

I can definitely provide advise without a photo; please give me a minute or two to type up a response. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Gum color sounds normal which is good as is the fact that she's not terribly lethargic.

In general, I don't worry too much when a dog's looser stools contain a small amount of blood; typically this only reflects an irritated colon and nothing more. While it may look alarming, it's not usually very serious.

But having said that, if there's a profuse amount of blood, then I do worry that the patient may have a condition call HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). https://www.vetinfo.com/hge-dogs-explained.html

This condition can be quite serious and usually requires immediate attention.

At this point, it's difficult for me to know if she might have such as serious condition although if she's not terribly lethargic, if she's not vomiting and if she appears to have a decent appetite, then there could be other causes for her symptoms: Dietary indiscretion, viral/bacterial condition, internal parasites are just a few of the possibilities.

Since she doesn't appear to be in a really serious way, the following would be my suggestions over the weekend. If she worsens in any way, then you can always have her seen.

1. Feed a bland diet of 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food. Just an fyi, I don't tend to withhold food from dogs with diarrhea issues but I do when they're vomiting.
2. I'm not certain if you have the brand name Pepto Bismol in the UK but you probably have other products which contain Bismuth Subsalicylate which is the active ingredient. As long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products then you can give this to her.The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.
For example, if she weighs 50 lbs, then you would give 5 mls or one teaspoon.
Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach which might worsen the situation.

3. I'd also start her on a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. Again, I'm not certain what is available in the UK but more than likely your local pet or grain store will carry them. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well).

4. Encourage her to drink often to keep her from getting dehydrated although this is a concern when the dogs are older than she is. You can also offer her Pedialyte (hopefully, available there) which can help to replace electrolytes lost in the looser stools.

Hopefully, the above will be sufficient to get things under control but if not (and if she hasn't worsened in any way), then a vet visit next week may be in order....which is what I think you planned on doing anyway.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much. You have been very helpful. It is much appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with her. Kind regards, Deb