Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has started to exhibit very unusual behaviour in the

Customer Question

My dog has started to exhibit very unusual behaviour in the last couple of days. He is a cross greyhound, and 8 years old. He has been to the vet in the last couple of weeks for his annual jabs so been checked over recently.
Normally we have a long walk in the morning and he runs around chasing a ball and then sleeps all afternoon. Now he wont settle. He keeps coming to me and whining and licking me all over, my arms legs and face. He isnt sleeping in the day like he always has done, he just lies on his bed and stares at me.
I am really worried. Any advice would be very welcome
Sandy
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating ok and seems happy otherwise, if i make a fuss of him his tail will wag furiously more than usual
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I would rely on your experience with his normal behavior and say there is something wrong. The most common cause of this type of anxiety with difficulty settling or never appearing to be fully settled is pain, especially pain in his neck or back or a joint. Watch for overt lameness or carriage of his head oddly. There are diseases which can affect joints, such as the bacterial tick-borne diseases (e.g., Lyme disease, Anaplasmosis) and other bone-related problems like cancer.

I am not sure I could link this behavior to his annual vaccinations. My best recommendation would be to have him rechecked this week by his veterinarian for a thorough physical examination. This may help us isolate if there is any obvious area of pain.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about the pain, i am totally confused by the licking. i just timed him and he has just spent about 20 minutes licking my legs whilst i am watching TV. I know people say they sometimes want salt, but this has gone on for ages. Have you any ideas on this please?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I will comment on licking unusual items that in many dogs that can be a sign of gastrointestinal discomfort. There was a large study that was released about 2 years ago that looked at obsessive licking of items other than self and it was found in almost all cases the dog had some digestive tract problem ranging from inflammatory bowel disease to gastric reflux to intestinal parasites and the list continued. So, this is something that should be explored further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A friend recommended to me that i use rock sulphur and it seems to have made a massive difference. Over the last 24 hours no licking. He is much more settled and has been sleeping quite happily on his bed as normal tonight.I actually feel your advice was a bit dramatic for the problem i had.