Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 12 year old greyhound, who has recently been

I have a 12 year old greyhound, who has recently been diagnosed with kidney trouble. I would like to know what foods to give her, as I have been told chappie dog food and low protein and low fat diet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your Greyhound has been diagnosed with kidney issues.

When I've diagnosed one of my patients, the following list below is what I typically recommend for them. A low protein diet is the most important treatment option since protein has been shown to accelerate damage to the kidneys. Low protein diets can also help to stabilize the progressive nature of this condition. K/D is an excellent choice although other manufactures such as Purina and Royal Canin also manufacture these low protein, prescription diets.

But, having said that, it's most important that the patient eat as opposed to them eating the low protein foods. If your dog likes the K/D, then that's great. I don't know the protein percentage in the Chappie dog food that you mention but if it's similar to K/D, then it sounds as if the two together are fine.

Other treatment options for chronic kidney disease include the following:

1. Fish oil such as Welactin or 3V Capsules can help some of these dogs since it has anti-inflammatory properties. These products are available on the internet or at some local pet/grain stores.
2. Fluids under the skin (which can be done at home) can significantly benefit many of these dogs, especially if they start showing disinterest in food. Even though she may still be drinking water, dogs with kidney disease often can easily become dehydrated; in addition the electrolytes in the fluids can help them feel better.
3. Phosphate binders which contain aluminum hydroxide such as Amphogel if the phosphorus levels are elevated. Once (or if) the phosphorus levels are < 6 mg/dL, then consider Calcitrol (which is a Vitamin D analog). However, if calcium levels are high, you wouldn't want to use it.
4. Secondary hypertension is often seen in dogs with kidney disease. Blood pressure measurements are relatively easy to do and appropriate drugs can be started if high.
5. Low dose aspirin can be beneficial in some cases but I would discuss this first with your vet before starting it.
6. Use of appetite stimulants such as Mirtazapine or Cerenia if the appetite starts to diminish can be quite helpful.
7. Azodyl is a supplement which can be purchased online. I've had a few patients who appear to respond to it but not all of them do.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not think it is chronic, but she is not too keen on the food she is given. I will enquire about the dehydration as she seems to be loosing weight putting it on then loosing again. I will also try the stimulants, although I think it may be cause I have had to change her diet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

You're more than welcome.

My apologies if I made the wrong assumption about her kidney status. The most common cause of kidney issues in a dog this age is going to be Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) which is why I alluded to it.

But, the information provided is still pertinent and relevant, regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised if her appetite it off because of the change in food although it may be difficult to know for sure since dogs with kidney issues often have an intermittently poor appetite as well.

Best of luck with her, though. Kind regards, Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your advice.Cheers
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

My pleasure; glad that I could help.

Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.