Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Twice in the last couple of months, my two year old yorkie

Twice in the last couple of months, my two year old yorkie has had an episode where he seems to become disorientated and lose control of one of his back legs. This is usually after being sick. After about 30 mins he seems ok again although a bit shaky. First time I thought maybe he had been stung. Is this something I should get checked out?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Yeah, I would be a good idea to get that checked out. My main concern is that he may be having a mild seizure, but there could also be a neuromuscular disorder as well. With potential seizures in small breed dogs, there could be a problem with fluid around the brain, an inflammatory condition around the brain (encephalitis) or even a metabolic problem (especially a liver problem). It probably isn't an emergency to get him seen if he is acting normal otherwise now. In fact, it may help to try to catch the next episode on video, so you can show your vet exactly what is happening. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.