Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My shih tyz has very sore bottom around the outside I bathe

Customer Question

My shih tyz has very sore bottom around the outside I bathe it and put cream on but it does not seem to clear up have you ay suggestions thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Jackie and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry Jackie, that Chelsea is uncomfortable. It appears that she has a possible staph infection in this area that is causing this irritation. It is great that you clipped away all of the hair in that area so air can get to it for it to heal. I would then recommend that you wash with a Betadine ointment available at the phamacy over the counter and then apply a cortisone creme on top of that to ease this discomfort. I would also recommend, Jackie, that you start Chelsea on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the pain that she is feeling. It is best that she cannot lick this and if she does , purchase an Elizabethan Collar at the pet store. If she licks at this, it will make it worse and will not allow this to heal.

Does that make sense to you, Jackie?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****