Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog ate some rubber mat about 3 weeks ago and we thought

Customer Question

our dog ate some rubber mat about 3 weeks ago and we thought she had sicked it all up. Today she was sick and there was rubber mat in it. There is no loss in appitite, her bowel movements are normal and no loss of activity.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation, but I would want to make sure all of that mat comes out to prevent a potential foreign body obstruction. I would try to induce vomiting again. If she just vomited today, I would do it tomorrow. If she vomited yesterday or earlier, you can try today. 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 lbs of body weight given orally usually does it. This dose can be repeated in 10 minutes if necessary. If there is no mat in that vomit, I would probably just monitor her. If there is still mat in that vomit, I would probably have your vet check her out. They may want to do an x-ray to see if there is potentially anything obstructing the small intestinal tract, but endoscopy to visualize the stomach contents would be the best way to see if there is still mat in there or not. It can usually be removed with endoscopy as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As she is OK in herself and no change in toilet or eating is there any danger as to how long pieces of rubber could be in her stomach? Just wondering that as it has been 3 weeks and she is not vomiting often is it best to let it run its course?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Well, there is still a possibility that a small piece can get into the small intestinal tract, especially if it is being broken down a little by the stomach acid. There is a good chance she will be fine, but I wouldn't want any pieces of rubber in there for long term. It can eventually release other chemicals that may cause more toxicity problems. Like I said, the possibility of complications would still be low right now, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of that sitting in my dog's stomach if I can help it. That is why I would induce vomiting to see if more comes up. If she has been vomiting periodically since she ingested, this, there is most likely still more mat in there. There is no reason you cannot give it more time, though, but if she starts vomiting a lot, has a loss of appetite or has abdominal pain; that can become an emergency really quickly. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. You have a good rest of your day.