Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I was walking my 9yr old dobermann yesterday when she picked

Customer Question

I was walking my 9yr old dobermann bitch yesterday when she picked up an empty bait bag when I went to take it off her she swallowed it. That was yesterday afternoon she has not passed it yet but is eating and drinking normally she is does not seem to be in any distress.
My question is how long should I leave it before visiting my vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Jill, the bait bags I'm familiar with (http://leerburg.com/736.htm) would be problematic for even a Dobie to pass through her small intestine. Because she's currently asymptomatic, there's a good chance that the bag is still in her stomach from which it could be extracted with a snare passed through an endoscope. Alternatively, she could be made to vomit if X-rays or ultrasound revealed the bag to still be in her stomach. I would be reticent to induce emesis, however, if the bag contained metal/sharp edges which might traumatize her upper GI tract. I recommend that a vet visit be made at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, following your advise I took Milly to the vet the following day & they xrayed her stomach and sure enough the bait bag was still in place! so she was given food and an injection to make her vomit. The whole bag came up after she was sick twice. Thank you very much for your advice which prompted me to go the vet asap.

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Give Milly a kiss for me.