nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have four months old lab cross, she was on two courses of

hi , we have four months old lab cross, she was on two courses of antibiotics noroclav to treat urinal infection, friday we had results from the cultivation and the vet said the infection is still present, and the bacteria seem to be resistant to the ab but they gave us the same ab again this time doubled the dosage for 28 days. is that ok or not? thanks a lot for your answer.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, their choice of increasing the dose is not ideal. We do sometimes have to use high doses of certain in multi-drug resistant bacterial infections but your vet would have made you aware of this being the case and would have had another test done (called an MIC, which looks at whether the bacteria responded to any antibiotic at a higher dose).

So, if they didn't tell you this is multi-drug resistant (MDR) and if they didn't check an MIC; then we'd need to ring them and ask them to review the culture's sensitivity results. This is because the lab that tested this sample would have checked 6-12 other antibiotics to see if the bacteria was sensitive to anything else. And that is what we usually use in standard cases to choose our antibiotics. So those results would have told them the Noroclav won't help but also should have told them what would. So, that needs to be doubled checked so that a more appropriate antibiotic can be used. And if this was one of those uncommon MDR bacteria, then an MIC test should be checked on all the antibiotics by the lab to tell you which at a high dose may be needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )