Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

What should I do if my dog has blood in s poo?

What should I do if my dog has blood in his poo?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Andy, it depends upon how long there's been blood in Woody's poo. A one time event may result from passing something abrasive through the rectum or perhaps Woody's anal gland(s) are abscessed and hemorrhagic. Simple abrasive trauma should heal in 24 hours; abscessed anal glands are evaucated, flushed with an antimicrobial solution and then packed with an antimicrobial ointment. If this is a regular event, however, a significantly inflamed or ulcerated colon (colitis) is the usual cause and Woody's vet would need to investigate the cause and treat appropriately. In that case, intestinal parasites (hookworm, whipworm, Giardia, e.g.), infections (bacterial, viral), and inflammatory disorders are important differential diagnoses.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It happened on thursday morning and then seemed to be ok. He did another one about 20 minutes ago and there was more blood. It is only a tiny bit though. Do you think I should take him to the my vet?

Is he otherwise well - eating, active, normal form to the stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's still his normal crazy ball chasing self and still able to scoff his dinner and any other treats in seconds. But the stool has been quite soft. We were putting it down to the really hot weather we've had over the last few of day.

Thank you. Any stressor - heat included - can induce a colitis; this would be difficult to confirm, however. I don't hear of an urgency here and so continuing to "watchful wait" for a few more days is reasonable. We have to remember that these dogs often improve in spite of us! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We'll keep an eye on him then. Hopefully he'll be ok. Thank you for your reassurance. I will rate you excellent.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.