Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 16 year old miniature dachshund has sicked up her food

My 16 year old miniature dachshund has sicked up her food for the last three days. She still has an appetite but after between 3 7 hours sicks up the lot. She is listless, sleeps all of the time and has very smelly flatulence
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she ever vomit without food?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Is she on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Response to q1 is NO, to q2 No, Q3 not sure but think 10 kilos, q4 No and same for q5
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate a tiny portion of food an hour ago and sp far has retained that. She w
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is vomiting undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common possible causes are: Esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination with family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

Note: Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when she eats.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you will take your advice
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)