Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Labodor with a red eye keeps weeping

Labodor with a red eye keeps weeping
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Bella's situation with her eye. How long has this eye been like this? Is she squinting / wanting to hold it shut?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday it started she not in any discomfort and she not squinting or wanting to hold it shut .
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel that she's rubbing at it? Do you see her third eyelid elevated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she not wanting to rub it . And I do'nt see the the third eyelid .
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Alright. This is one of those situations where a red eye that is having discharge could be any number of things. Obviously, the best thing and the safest, is to have a veterinary exam as soon as possible as they can evaluate the eye up close. They can look to see if there are any abnormally growing hairs on the eyelid that may be rubbing on the eye. They can stain the eye to look for any ulcers on the cornea that may be there. They can look in the area around the eye and see if there is foreign material there that can be irritating the eye. The red and weeping could be from a superficial infection on the eye. It could be from a blocked tear duct. One other and the most serious rule out would be glaucoma as it can cause a red, cloudy eye but it typically isn't weeping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I take first thing to get her checked over.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping for the best for this girl. Hopefully it is some superficial infection that a short course of topical antibiotics is needed to fix.