Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10yr old Polish Lowland Sheepdog has just spent 2weeks in

My 10yr old Polish Lowland Sheepdog has just spent 2weeks in kennels. We noticed yesterday when grooming that there was an area of matted coat on his thigh snd when we cut this away there was an area of moist pinky skin about 5x5cm, looks a little inflamed but no pus. No other skin lesions, he looks fine, its not irritating him, he lets me touch it and its not tender, he's not been licking it. He's not got any fleas or mites we can see. Looks like so-called hot-spots- didn't have any skin problems before. Gets his usual dog food in kennels. He does have a little stiffness of the back legs when rising for the past year or two. I was going to treat this like a 'hot spot' - dilute iodine or chlorhexidine - but the fact he isn't licking it or scratching makes me think twice. No lumps anywhere I can feel. Would take him to the vet but always problematic - as a pup they hurt his knee when examining him so he goes quite aggressive whenever he goes near so needs sedation for any examinations. Thanks. Mac Macheta (Dr)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dr., you may be seeing skin that became unhealthy and infected underneath the matting (a focal pyoderma) while Zebbie was kenneled or perhaps an early pyotraumatic dermatitis ("hot spot"). In either case, lavaging the area with chlorhexidine twice daily would be smart. You can also apply a topical antibacterial ointment such as mupirocin or if you prefer a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin at 20 mg/kg twice daily for a minimum of 10 days.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this skin lesion to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo attached. A little iodine was sprayed on earlier hence the slight orange hue

Thank you for the photo. It's consistent with pyotraumatic dermatitis. I'm surprised that he isn't still bothering it but that'll allow it to heal quickly. If he does begin excoriating it, a short course of prednisone dosed at 0.5 mg/kg initially and tapered over 10 days should be helpful. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.