Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have an 11+ month-old goldendoodle who has an ear

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 11+ month-old goldendoodle who has an ear infection that has been developing since Thursday, when he had a trip to the groomer's. He only saw the vet today because we were away for the weekend and he was staying with his daycare family. They bathed his ear and monitored him, and it didn't seem like an emergency. The vet took a swab today and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection. She is worried that it might be a pseudomonas infection, and she wanted to be sure so that he can get the right type of antibiotic. She also made up a bottle of Trizaural solution (thromethamine USP and disodium EDTA dihydrate), which we are squirting into his ear twice daily. He whimpers when we do so and when we try t clean the ear with a cotton ball, and he is obviously in discomfort. My worry is that an infection like this might spread and do structural damage within his ear. The swab results could take up to 1 week. Is it dangerous to withhold antibiotics until then? Many thanks in advance, Aoife
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dougal. To answer you directly, yes. Why not initiate an otic preparation which should address Pseudomonas such as the enrofloxacin-containing Baytril otic while awaiting the test results? The Trizaural increases the susceptibility of Pseudomonas to topical antibacterials. It's not of value if an antibiotic such as enrofloxacin isn't present.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Salkin,
Many thanks for your excellent and very speedy response :)
I will contact our vet tomorrow morning to suggest a different course of action while we wait for the swab results.
Many thanks, ***** ***** do appreciate your expert help,
Aoife

You're quite welcome, Aoife. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael, I'm pleased to say that Dougal is now on antibiotic drops. His ear was sufficiently clear when we took him to the vet on Thursday. Still no swab results, but by Monday they should be back and we're seeing the vet again then. Hopefully this nasty infection will clear up soon.

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.