nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has developed a red eye with mucus which covers the

Customer Question

My dog has developed a red eye with green mucus which covers the eye. I have cleaned it with saline and cotton wool but think he needs medication. Please advise
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the signs you are reporting, we'd be most concerned of a bacterial conjunctivitis potentially secondary to ulcers/damage to the eye if its severely red. In this case you are right that the green mucus not responding to saline will need antibiotic based eye drops to clear. This is something a local vet will need to dispense unless you can find OTC Terramycin eye drops at your local farm supply shop. In either case, since there sounds to be significant irritation and inflammation of the eye, we’d want your local vet to stain the eye to make sure there are no ulcers that need further treatment nor any signs of tear duct dysfunction (as these need to be addressed when present to get the eye completely settled).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going for your wee one?

Dr. B.