Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

What can I use on my Westhighland he has tore s body very

What can I use on my Westhighland he has tore his body very bad.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Darby. Can you tell me, please, what was diagnosed that prompted the prescription of steroids, sprays, and creams? Westies are greatly over-represented with atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc. Secondary bacterial and yeast infections in their skin are very common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The injections where given because he had tore and bleed himself also infection by then.

I understand and so we need to get to the cause of his excoriating himself so badly. Because he's a Westie I'm going to assume that he's atopic as I mentioned above.

1) Atopy usually responds to steroids very well but steroids have too many adverse effects to use long-term.

2) Instead, speak to Darby's vet about prescribing oclacitinib (Apoquel) - a new drug that works as well as a steroid but without a steroids adverse effect.

3) Treat Darby with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. This is a prescription drug.

4) Bathe him in an antimicrobial shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide. These shampoos can be found over the counter.

5) Darby's vet needs to be aware that yeast (Malassezia) infection is also common in these dogs. Antibiotics for bacterial infections don't address yeast. A cytology (microscoic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) should be performed looking for abnormal numbers of both bacteria and yeast. A months worth of ketoconazole is indicated if yeast are found in abundant numbers. This is a prescription drug.

Treating him as outlined above should obviate the need to apply sprays and creams - a cumbersome task when lesions are widespread. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.