Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I took my dog walk in a forest a couple of days ago and now

Customer Question

hi i took my dog for a walk in a forest a couple of days ago and now she has gone lame and is off her food any advice wood be very helpfull . thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What leg is she limping?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Does she normally walk in the forest?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- Is she bearing weight on the limb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi she limping on her left rear leg . she has been a bit loose lately. no she is normally fit and well . no she doesn't normally walk in the forest . yes she is . only just
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in any case of a back limb lameness we need to rule out either: A fracture, hip disorders or a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. A very common injury to the back leg in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). To determine the exact underlying cause she will need an orthopedic examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. The fact that she has a history of going or being in the forest we also have to rule out tick borne diseases like Lyme disease. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home besides resting her. Do Not give over the counter pain meds most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication your vet may want to use. Treatment for her will be based on exam, blood work and xray results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.