nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our female cocker spaniel aged 10 has been suffering with

Customer Question

Our female cocker spaniel aged 10 has been suffering with arthritis for some time and a friend suggested we try Metacam. I contacted our vet and he was happy to prescribe this drug but charged £20 for 32 ml bottle. I have checked on the internet and find this charge to be exorbitant eg £3 for the same quantity!! As we are pensioners we cannot afford to pay the prices charged by the vet and wondered if there is any way We can obtain this medication directly.
Geoffrey cowpland
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, online pharmacies buy in bulk and therefore can offer medications at a much lower price. Sometimes they can even sell them for less then vet practices can buy them for. Now your vet can legally charge whatever they feel is appropriate for a medication (just as any business can with a product they sell). That said, if costs are an issue and this is such a difference in price, you have 2 options. First, you can notify your local vet of this lower price to see if they will price match it for you. If they cannot do so and provided they examined Bonnie prior dispensing Metacam (as is legally required), you can request that they write a prescription for you to have filled by the lower cost pharmacy. And often they can provide that prescription with refills for up to 6-12 months, so that you don't have to take her back in or pay more for that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )