Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My is not eating (2days) and has started to vomit water and

My ***** ***** bitch is not eating (2days) and has started to vomit water and pass diarrhoea and blood.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is she on any medications?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- How much does she weigh?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She is spayed. No to all the other questions. She is looking forlorn at the moment but has had a good day of activity. She is slightly overweight but very active (rescue dog, has had two litters of puppies).
No other symptoms.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The vomiting is a consequence of what is causing the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, fecal analysis, xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. We are on holiday (about 300 miles from home) so will find a vet locally tomorrow and hopefully get our little lady checked out. Thanks for the reassurance at this hour of the night.

I am glad I was here to help. You are welcome. :)