Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have had my pug to vets. They checked her temperature

Customer Question

I have had my pug to vets. They checked her temperature which was ok but she has deffo got an infection in both ears and an eye ulcer. Now her other eye is gunging up. She is not well. Very lethargic and withdrawn. Not drinkng and generally really off. I am not sure if something else is going on or can it make them poorly, withdrawn and lethargic with infection of the ears. She has been given eye drops and canarual drops. I am worried about her. She is 4. Should I get a second opinion. I have no reason to doubt the vets diagnosis but he did comment that is unusual for a dog to be so poorly from an ear infection. That comment worried me. He wants to see her in 2 days. I don't know what I should do :(
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will not even lie down bless her. She is just sat in the same position clearly not happy. I just don't know what I can do for her if anything.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about Pigsy's situation. If she has an eye ulcer, that in itself is a very painful thing that can definitely take some totally out of their game. I've seen dogs come into my ER that have eye ulcers that make them just lie around and do nothing else. The discomfort can be pretty significant. Toss on top of that an ear infection in both ears, and the discomfort adds up even more. With how she's acting, it may be a good idea to recheck her sooner to see if the eye ulcer is healing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh well on a bittersweet sort of level that is good to know and calms me a little. In that case I will take her back for another consultation. Thank you. Poor little Pigsy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think she should be on pain relief? She has nothing other than drops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also can it make her disorientated. She looks it.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes an oral pain reliever is started if the discomfort from the ear infection is great enough. With how she's acting, it may be something to consider. As far as being disoriented, sometimes if there is irritation in the inner ear, it can cause them to be disoriented. I would watch for circling and head tilts to further indicate this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she tilts her head :(
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The head tilt hopefully is just to irritation / discomfort that she's still experiencing from the ear infections. Hopefully this is something that improves as the therapy for it continues.