Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our dog has beento the vet twice this week with open wounds.

Customer Question

Our dog has beento the vet twice this week with open wounds. The vet is closed but the wounds have grown and her skin is now peeling off quite severely and the wpunds are weeping and pussey. The area was swollen but that has gone downbut she is obviously in discomfort. We dont know what caused this but she has been on anti biotics
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont worry about the call, just need advice please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's little question that antibiotics alone won't suffice at this time. These wounds need to be surgically opened widely, debrided of devitalized tissue, flushed thoroughly with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, and then either left open to drain or have drains sewn into the wounds in order to establish unhindered draining.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. We will be trying the vet again tomorrow. I attach a pic so you can see the latest. We bathed it last night in saline solution and that does seem to have dried it out a little. What could have caused this to suddenly happen do you think?

Thank you for the pic. The wounds are old and have remodeled and so I can't know what the original appearance of them was. Was she bitten by another dog? Did she do this to herself due to an allergic dermatitis (pyotraumatic dermatitis/hot spot)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wounds are brand new, starting on thursday. She was suddenly lethargic, and they began as minor abrasions. She was off her food and we took her to the vet who couldn't explain them but gave her antibiotics and a steroid cream. We have.since stopped with the cream because the wounds got bigger and bigger until her skin began to come off and leave pussey flesh beneath. We are very worried and obviously will go backto the vet tomorrow but as far as we know she hasn't been bitten, though we did think that may be a possibility. We just cant see any bite marks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw, she is shaved in the area so that the vet can get a better look

A curious history, indeed. Was she being administered any drugs (drug reaction)? Have you had a problem with spiders - black widow, e.g? Was the possibility of vasculitis - an autoimmune skin disorder - discussed with you? Her vet should consider culturing and biopsy of the wound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, at the moment I think the vet was hoping that the anti biotics would work. I think she mentioned biopsies if it was still bad this coming Wednesday but we will head back with her tomorrow since it's so much worse though she seems much better in herself oddly!

Perhaps the antibiotics are kicking in but if the infection is secondary to an underlying condition, that condition needs to be clarified and appropriately treated. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying, I'll let you know what the vet says. :)

I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post.