nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 month old CKCS has vomited foamy sick 4 times in a row

My 5 month old CKCS has vomited white foamy sick 4 times in a row this afternoon. He's now very sleepy. Has been his usual very active self all morning until he was sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He hasn't drank much today but hasn't seemed to throw it up, he had tipped his water bowl over earlier so I lifted it and hadn't put it back down before he was sick so I don't think it was water he wasn't keeping down.His gums are fairly pink and sticky, not very moist.He doesn't mind me touching his belly but is very sleepy so just went back to sleep soon as I started touching him.It's been a nice day so Iv had the back foot open all day and I have taken small stones, a small stick and plants out his mouth on numerous times. If he has something like that he always brings it to his bed to chew and Iv taken it off him every time.No diarrhoea so far.He's also eaten his lunch after being sick (I had put it in the bowl when he was in the garden and after he was sick and I brought him in he went straight over and ate) x
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

First, if he does pick up odd items to chew, we need to tread with care that we don't have a blockage. Of course, if he tends to chew and not eat them, then we'd also need to consider a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion.

With this in mind, we can start with some supportive care to see if we can Barry more settled. To start, if he is weak and lethargic at any point, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us.

Furthermore,if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk for a dog as young as Barry, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Though if he may be a dog to eat non-edible items, we need to keep a close eye. But at the moment, we can try supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for all your notes. I will try rubbing some jam on his gums and cheer him up a little. He's gone outside to sleep now. Seems to enjoy the wind fluffing his ears out. I'm usually pretty fast at taking non edible items out his mouth as he's a bit of a terror for it. I have eyes in the back of my head. I just worry that I may have missed something. I'll kee a close eye and give his tummy a rest before giving chicken and rice for dinner and if no improvements then I'll contact my vet. Thanks again Dr B x
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am very glad you do have a close eye on his mischief, since I can say that foreign body ingestion is no fun for everyone. So, do try the above for him and hopefully we can get him settled for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.