nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was with a dog all day Tuesday. on arrival home, sh8e

my dog was with a dog walker all day Tuesday. on arrival home, sh8e only ate a part of her meal and shortly after, defecated on the floor, a loose watery stool. She needed to go out again during the night. she made a small mess sometime afterwards. My question is what should I do about feeding her and what food do you suggest?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, when we have signs of gut upset like you have described, we tend to want to feed a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can even add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to this to bulk up her stools quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Further to this, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Hopefully, this is just a benign gut upset and a bit of supportive care will settle her. Of course, if she appears dehydrated at any point or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )