Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Labrador has severe arthritis. He is not able to get up

Customer Question

My Labrador has severe arthritis. He is not able to get up without help. He is soiling himself. He collapses when up for too long. Won't eat or drink. Panting terribly. But the vet said I can't put him to sleep. I can see he is suffering and the medications are not working. Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

2- Why did your vet say you can't put him to sleep?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on joint medication
Metacam
And paracetamolShe said she doesn't agree that it's time. But I had him 8 years and can see he is suffering terribly.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I know how difficult this must be for you seeing your dog suffer. And, the sense of guilt that you may feel especially when your veterinarian does not agree with your decision. However, though we generally can help our clients to make this difficult decision ultimately that one who knows their dog best is the owner (you). In veterinary medicine we believe in always keeping our patients comfortable. If your dog is at the point where medical therapy is not offering him a good quality of life then if your veterinarian is not willing to put him to sleep I would suggest you seek the care of another veterinarian. In the meantime, you can request from your family veterinarian another pain killer that is called Tramadol that can be used with the medications that he is on to keep him comfortable. I hope this helps you make a decision. Please let me know if you have additional questions, I will be glad to discuss them with you.

Dr. Peter