Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

We are looking after a 9 year old neutered Yorkshire Terrier

We are looking after a 9 year old neutered Yorkshire Terrier bitch for friends. She is normally no trouble at night but tonight she won't lie still for more than a couple of minutes, she is very restless but not whining. She ate her evening meal of chicken and rice without any problems . She is not retching she doesn't seem to want to have a bowel movement
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding the Yorkie girl Lilly you are currently looking after. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Lilly's symptoms are certainly concerning, however there are quite a number of possible causes for these symptoms including anything from an early gastroenteritis, a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything she could have gotten into), or even an internal organ issue. This could even be something as simple as fleas, or anal gland irritation, but without a full physical exam, it would be very difficult to know. You are definitely going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on Lilly for the next little while if you can, and if she continues to seem restless, then you are best to get her assessed by your local ER or after hours vet.

For now, please keep an eye on Lilly's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that she doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

All the best with Lilly, and as above, if she doesn't settle in the next hour or so, or if any of the parameters above aren't right, please get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.