nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Shar pei has just managed to get hold of and eat a cooked

Customer Question

My Shar pei has just managed to get hold of and eat a cooked chicken bone! What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Did he chew it to bits? Or eat it whole?

Did it have any sharp edges?

How is Trevor just now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He ate it about 45-60 mins ago.
I think he may have chewed a bit but I'm not sure as I was upstairs when I heard him crunching then he coughed. So I went down to check him. There was no bits or evidence and no sick.
I don't think it had sharp edges it was the thicker part do the chicken drumstick.
He is bahaving as normal. He's very playful in the mornings and he's doing the same now?
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

Now bones are always a worry when ingested by our dogs. This is because any sharp edges could damage the delicate GI and large pieces of bone can potentially get stuck and become an obstruction. So in these cases we need to proceed with care.

That said, cooked chicken bones tend to be quite soft compared to other bones, so there is a good chance the stomach acid can soften these further to allow them to pass through the stomach without causing harm. So, its positive that he is normal despite having likely chewed this up.

In regards ***** ***** you can do at home, monitoring is key at this stage. Since there is a risk of this having sharp edges, we’d never want to induce vomiting (since damage to the throat could be fatal). As well, if it has been a nearly an hour, this is likely already in the intestines and past the stomach anyway.

Now its good that he can rest and is comfortable. We want to let him do so at this point. Further to this, for the next 24-48 hours, we'd want to make sure that his gut stays comfortable (which you can check by pressing on the belly to see if he has any tensing, discomfort, or pain). Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its stuck and would want to have his vet feel his stomach +/- xray to make sure there is no risk of any form of obstruction.

Otherwise, while monitoring, we would want to put him on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg. Whichever you choose, offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Furthermore, add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) +/- a dose of cat hair ball medication or GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage this to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit more loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep this from getting caught and passed safely via his feces.

Overall, when dogs eat items like this, we do have obstruction concerns. Still if this was a cooked chicken bone specifically, it has already been nearly an hour and he has no signs, then we'd suspect these are already moving through his GI and potentially doing so without issue. Therefore, we'd want to monitor for the above signs and start the above supportive care. And if you were to see any hint of those worrying signs I noted, and we'd want to have a check with his vet as an xray and possible surgical retrieval would be indicated. But hopefully with his being well so far, you may find that he will pass this for us within the next 24-48 hours.

Just in case anything changes or he develops these above signs, and you do need your local ER vet, you can check at http://www.vetlocator.com/ or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hiya, he's fine thanks. It seemed to pass through. There was no change in character and the soft diet made his stools a little different but nothing unusual. Thanks for your advice .
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, my dear.

I am glad that they have passed without causing any bother for Trevor. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )