Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 12 year-old Bassett hound female today she has been

I have a 12 year-old Bassett hound female today she has been pacing around the house unable to settle she is panting heavily she has not eaten much but she is drinking and has done both wee and poo.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Lynne, aimless pacing and panting can indicate intractable pain as well as encephalopathy (brain disorder) in our dogs. How does her mentation (mental status) appear to you? Is she as responsive to you as usual? Does she appear confused or disoriented?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does appear to be a little confused she seems to be looking to find a corner she has been under my bed she did have a fall yesterday from the back seat of our car.

Thank you. Pushing into corners and wall hugging support encephalopathy. I would be surprised if a fall from the back seat were enough to cause brain damage, however. Brain tumor is the most important cause of encephalopathy in a 12 year old Bassett. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.