Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have border collie. 8 years old, 26 weight. he has what

i have border collie . 8 years old, 26 kilo weight. he has what appers to be an infection to side of his head, fur is moist and sticky, i noticed it today when i put on his lead. i cant take him to show vet as he gets snappy as he doesnt know or like anyone touching him, he snaps out, he is ok with me to certain point, but i know what he is like and he wont let me , cut his fur or nails etc, havve to get him sedated at vet which is very expensive each time. and vet has to snealk up behim him to inject the sedation,
all this is very stressful for the dog, aswell as me, is there an antibioticic i can get to give him with his food, as this is only way i can give it ti him so he doesnt snap out. thanks, stephen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What is his name? How long ago was he last seen by your vet? That wet, sticky, moist fur sounds pretty suspicious for a hot spot (an area of moist dermatitis). If this is what is going on, ideally the fur in that area is shaved off to allow that skin to dry out and heal. If there is fur in the area, it traps moisture and the discharge and doesn't let it dry out well. If this fur isn't trimmed, it doesn't really have a chance to dry out. Antibiotics are utilized in these situations to help aide in the healing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dog name is ***** ***** wont let anyone shave or cut his fur, he will snap out and viciously to i might add,
vet had to sedate him last time just to cut his nails, and he even fights that took ages to sedate him .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i was hoping to avoid taking him to the vet as it costs £200 each time to sedate him, is there anything i can give him, that i can buy online etc.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
probably over 6 to 8 months ago we saw vet last not really sure. its too stressful trying to hold him on the lead when he is snapping out, i have to hold him under a chair with lead while vet sneaks up to inject him with sedation, often takes 2 to 3 attemps , and it stresses me out too much, .

In a situation like this, one of the options that i'd throw out there is calling your vet to let them know what you're seeing. They may be comfortable in letting you bring in some video / pictures of what you're seeing and then doing a script of antibiotics based on that. This isn't something that all veterinarians can / will do. It is a case by case basis. They've already established a veterinary / client / patient relationship and that may allow them to do this if they feel comfortable. There really isn't any antibiotics that you can get on line to help with this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks,

Give your vet a call and see what they can help with. They have every best interest at heart for him. I'm hoping for the best!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience