nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have found a wonderful dog at a rescue centre and have put

Customer Question

I have found a wonderful dog at a rescue centre and have put in to adopt her.Normally they spay bitches before you take them but they have said that she is just about to come into season. Having never owned a dog ( as an adult ) I have just been reading about a dog on heat and am very nervous about bringing her home on heat. Do you think , as a novice owner it would be better to wait before bringing her home?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if you aren't confident you can keep Kaya away from male dogs (she needs to supervised or when not supervised at least be in a yard with a decent height fence or indoors), then it is best to wait until her heat is over. As well, as females can spot blood during their season, you may find the delay ideal so you don't have a lot of cleaning to do or need to restrict her access to certain areas when she arrives. Of course, if those aren't issues for you, then she can come home sooner but any doubts and a delay would be ideal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )