Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We are in Spain and it is a holiday until tuesday our Vet

Hello PearlWe are in Spain and it is a holiday until tuesday our Vet recommends Ursochol for Lilly our dog who has fosfatasa alkalina too high we have bought the pills they are 150 mg but our vet does not say what dosage just one a day. Is 150 mg OK to give one a day. Thanks,
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Yes Lillys blood test showedFosfatasa Alcalina at a level of 336 UI/L HIGHEST SHOULD BE 105
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lilly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian.

I need to know what Lilly weighs to tell you if this is the correct dose of Ursochol.

How old is Lilly? Is she acting sick in any way? Is the Fosfatasa Alkalina the only one of her liver values that was abnormal? Older dogs will often have an elevation of this particular enzyme; it is probably caused by benign age related changes in the liver. I know 336 may sound high, but that is only a mild elevation; the highest I have seen was 21,000. Many older dogs will have this enzyme be in the 300 to 400 range, and it is not a concern.

That liver enzyme can also be high with a condition called Cushing's disease. If she had Cushing's, she would probably be drinking a lot of water, and urinating excessively. Usually the Fosfatasa Alkalina is much higher with Cushing's, over 1000. The dog I saw with the 21,000 had this condition.

Let me know her weight and her age, and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello RebeccaHer weight is 24 kilos and she is 11 years old and she is an english setter.Her liver results were OK except one slightly higher GPT (ALT) it was 97 highest level 89 for the rest good.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

In an 11 year old dog, I would not be too worried about these numbers, unless she is showing signs of liver disease; weight loss, vomiting, excessive thirst, lethargy. I might consider some liver supplements, to reduce liver inflammation such as SAMe (an antioxidant), and milk thistle.

The dose of Ursochol in a dog her size would be 240 to 360 mg daily, in one dose or divided twice daily.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello RebeccaMy other dog Sally a beagle has had elevated liver numbers and I give her hepatosil, is this a good idea for Lilly?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Yes, it contains SAMe and milk thistle. It may help if the liver is inflamed and that is the reason for the elevated numbers.

Let me know if this is helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I have not heard back from you! Was this helpful? Can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Lilly? Kindly consider rating my answer if this was helpful; that is the only way the website credits me for helping you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry Rebecca not to have got back to you, I have been busy entertaining our Spanish friends with 5 children.
I have taken your advice and for one month will give her hepatasil.We have 2 vets one tells me to do both pills and Esther who we go to for serious things says OK to do hepatasil. I only treat myself with supplements so if I can treat Lilly this way better. She has no symptoms so she is well. Your help much appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome. I hope it helps her and let me know if I can answer anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer with the website!