Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My staffy dog who is 13 has been treated several times for

Customer Question

Hi, my staffy dog who is 13 has been treated several times for urinary problems. she has now lost weight, has no energy and seems to be in pain around her back when touched. I have been givng her liver in small quantities with her food to make her eat. She is still not urinating properly and is just doing drops. She has been on another course of antibiotics but for the past week she has been wetting her bed and I'm changing it every day. she looks so sad
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I a so sorry your Staffy is having such difficulties with urinary tract issues. I definitely would urge you to have an abdominal ultrasound to rule out something more serious going on with the bladder or kidneys such as either bladder stones or bladder cancer or that the infection is progressing into the kidneys with her back now hurting her (often referred pain from the kidneys).

I know this is a bit overwhelming but typically you have to go to a specialty practice or university to get these additional tests and once diagnosed appropriate therapy can begin such as an anti inflammatory medication to help slow the progression of bladder cancer or supplements and diet adjustment if there are kidney changes and lastly if there is a bladder stone considering surgery to relieve her discomfort.

Until you are able to get these tests completed, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or chicken stock for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain with urination.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!