Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My Border Collie has recently been diagnosed with a a tumour

My Border Collie has recently been diagnosed with a a tumour in the throat (3cm) he has a terrible cough and we have already spent £400 trying to get something to help him with this awful cough, he is very fit and otherwise very healthy, his heart is super, he still loves walking and is eating as usual. He is approx 10 yrs old, but was a rescue dog.. The vet has given him Codiene Phosphate for the cough but this doesn't seem to be working, Can you help please ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to here you are worried about Ziggy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has the tumor been identified, if it is cancer or not? And if it is cancer, what kind?

Has a chest Xray been taken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been identified, we had two xrays, but it hasn't grown our vet seems to think it could have been there for some time, but he only started coughing in early June. I don't know what kind of cancer, The vet said it was quite clear all round and there no feelers coming from it, but the coughing has got worse within the last 2 weeks, and his breathing is quite heavy after he's coughed, and he shakes his head, nothing comes up at all, it seems a very dry cough. That is why they gave me codiene.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We seem to think it may have attached itself to the lung also but this is questionable, we are due back on 25th August but I was wondering if there was anything we could give him to alleviate the cough, it's much worse in the evening, next to nothing in the daytime though.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Knowing the identification would help me to know if it could be related to the cough. Was it removed?

When was the Xray taken?

It is unlikely that a tumor in the throat could attach to the lungs, but it could spread or metastasize to the lungs. If there has not been a recent chest Xray, and codeine does not stop the cough, an Xray is the first thing I would do.

How much codeine is he getting, and how much does he weigh? Perhaps he needs a higher dose. Codeine is usually the strongest cough suppressant we have.

If codeine is not suppressing the cough, I would look for fluid in the lungs or tumors in the lungs; codeine would not help much with that. If there is fluid in the lungs, a diuretic may be needed to stop the coughing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca, Ziggy weighs 24-25kg and he hasn't lost any weight, He had an 2 X-rays 27th June, and they told us and we saw the X-rays that in was in the asophaxgias They also told us he had only a few weeks left, but he's OK apart from the cough. He takes 5mg codiene each morning. We saw the vet just over a week and she was very pleased with him and thought he would last at least until Xmas ?. They are so vague, and we've spent so much money, we just want to make him comfortable, he was very ill treated when we took him fron the rescue bless him but he's had a loving for the last 5 years. His cough is like a barking cough very dry, but can be severe, then his eyes go blood shot. Do you think we should up the codiene ? I really don't want any more expense, it costs us £51 every time we visit the vet, very expensive where we live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tumour wasn't removed, they wanted £5,000 for that and the vet thought it would be too invasive for him at his age.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I had left for awhile when you got back to me.

The dose of codeine for a 25 kg dog would be 25 to 50 mg, every 6 to 12 hours, as needed for coughing. 5 mg may not be enough for a bad cough.

I agree about not doing invasive surgery at his age.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and how he is doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKYOU REBECCA, I GAVE HIM 10MG YESTERDAY AND HE WAS MUCH BETTER SO I WILL GIVE HIM 20MG TODAY. HE'S JUST BEEN FOR A NICE LONG WALK AND IS HAVING HIS BREAKFAST -'SCRAMBLED EGG AND BACON' LOL.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. I hope he continues to do well. Let me know if I can help with any more of your questions.