Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 8 year old staffy has a nasal tumour, she had steroids to

Customer Question

Hi. My 8 year old staffy has a nasal tumour, she had steroids to control her nose bleeds, the vet that diagnosed her said they don't want to do and chemotherapy or any sort of treatment. But also she has a really bad skin infection we think it's cal something cutis. Sorry I don't remember the name. But we can't afford another biopsy for her. I don't know what to do!?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Stacey, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Calcinosis cutis involves the deposition of calcium salts in dermal tissues. Lesions can be localized and secodary to trauma in normal or metabolically abnormal dogs. It doesn't necessarily reflect a skin infection. When it's localized we consider inflammatory lesions, degenerative lesions, and neoplastic (cancerous) lesions. When it's widespread we consider Cushing's disease, diabetes mellitus, and systemic fungal infections as well as chronic renal disease. It can be a challenge determining the cause of calcinosis cutis. It can involve diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, skin scrapings, fungal culture, cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface), and skin biopsy. I understand your financial constraints, however. I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Sasha's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/