Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I am doggie sitting a Maltese for a couple of weeks. He had

I am doggie sitting a Maltese for a couple of weeks. He had the runs yesterday but ate perfectly well. Today he would not eat, even chicken which is his absolute favourite. He had the runs in the morning but not since. He is panting quite a lot ev n though he is kept cool. What should I do. He is 2 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Androulla, I'm sorry to hear to hear of this with Bobbie. Because you're responsible for him at this time, you'll need to be particularly pro-active and not "watchful wait" any longer. I recommend that you bring Bobbie to his vet - hopefully you have permission to do so - to be thoroughly examined and treated predicated upon the results of his exam. His diarrhea and now anorexia and panting aren't symptoms pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Because he has worsened rather than improved overnight, he should be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience.

Simple dietary indiscretions - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or a non-food item and more serious disorders such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, and gastroenteritis are important differential diagnoses at this time. Panting can be seen with the pain, anxiety, or both with these disorders. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.