Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I was out walking with my dog about an hour and a half ago

I was out walking with my dog about an hour and a half ago we both got bite or stung by something in a field with wild growing flowers grasses. It was some kind of flying bug I believe it was probably a horsefly my dog is now settled but panting heavily. He found it hard to settle and lye down and whimpered. He is 11 months and a weimaraner. Should I be worried about the heavy panting!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that you both got stung or bitten by some sort of flying insect.

I probably wouldn't be too concerned about Doug's increased respiratory rate especially if he still seems a little uncomfortable. If he were my dog or my patient, I'd give him Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl here in the States). The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day...although only one dose may be needed.

Sedation can be seen as a side effect, which in this case, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I hope this helps and he seems more comfortable soon. Deb

I

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for advice I feel much safer going to sleep now he has slowed down a tad so with that and your verdict I am hopeful this is a minor reaction. :)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome.

I don't doubt that he was feeling some discomfort which is why he was acting like he was but I've found this breed (especially when they're young) to be a tad "overly dramatic" at times which might also explain his behavior.

Hopefully, he'll be back to his normal self tomorrow when you both wake up:) Kind regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb