Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I was out walking with my dog about an hour and a half ago

I was out walking with my dog about an hour and a half ago we both got bite or stung by something in a field with wild growing flowers grasses. It was some kind of flying bug I believe it was probably a horsefly my dog is now settled but panting heavily. He found it hard to settle and lye down and whimpered. He is 11 months and a weimaraner. Should I be worried about the heavy panting!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that you both got stung or bitten by some sort of flying insect.

I probably wouldn't be too concerned about Doug's increased respiratory rate especially if he still seems a little uncomfortable. If he were my dog or my patient, I'd give him Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl here in the States). The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day...although only one dose may be needed.

Sedation can be seen as a side effect, which in this case, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I hope this helps and he seems more comfortable soon. Deb

I

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thank you for advice I feel much safer going to sleep now he has slowed down a tad so with that and your verdict I am hopeful this is a minor reaction. :)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

You're more than welcome.

I don't doubt that he was feeling some discomfort which is why he was acting like he was but I've found this breed (especially when they're young) to be a tad "overly dramatic" at times which might also explain his behavior.

Hopefully, he'll be back to his normal self tomorrow when you both wake up:) Kind regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb