Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 9week old shar pei today she cried every time she

I have a 9week old shar pei today she cried every time she lifted her neck took her the vets her temp was abit high they gave her a course of abit inflamateries and anti biotics I've noticed she is urainating a lot more than usual. Is this okay?She is eating abit not in pain
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also her neck was swollen and nose is snotty and had some discharge coming from both eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Tammy, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that the antiinflammatory drug was a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone and one of the side effects of such a steroid is polyuria (increased volume of urine). Most worrisome, however, is Narla's symptoms. Pain in the neck in a febrile dog suggests a spinal meningitis. Her swollen neck which I suspect is due to a lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes), snotty nose and conjunctivitis with discharge concomitant with her neck pain are pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of canine distemper. Has this possibility been discussed with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been discussed the vet mentioned shar pei Fever I thought she had just made it up then when I have looked it up it says 18months old. Her swelling has gone down on her face today and she seems much happier but I'm just worried about the amount of urine

Shar Pei fever (amyloidosis) won't show up at 9 weeks of age. If a steroid weren't administered to Narla I have to consider that she was given subcutaneous fluids that she's now excreting or her kidneys are abnormal. Have her notty nose and eyes improved as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She gave her some sort of injection yesterday but unsure what it was I just wanted the vet to make my pup better she is bright eyed today and not as snotty and her breathing has improved but it's her urinating I've never had a problem with her training but it's like she can't hold it in because it's so much more than she usually does

I suspect that the injection was a steroid. Give the vet a call to confirm that as it would be responsible for all that urine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a steroid took her back this evening her temp is still 38.4 little bit lower than yesterday but hopefully the anti biotics will do their job.thank you ever so much for ur help and advice. Really appreciate it x

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.