Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

For the past 3 hrs my male chihuahua who is 2 Yrs old has

For the past 3 hrs my male chihuahua who is 2 Yrs old has been running up and down, panting, heaving breathing and won't sit still, he's normally a bit lazy and sleeping at this time..... Its.like he's on speed...? He's occasionally jumping and sniffing his rear end... Steph

Steph, is there a possibility of Mickey ingesting a prescription drug, chemical, insecticide, bromethalin-containing rodenticide or metaldehyde-containing snail bait?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possible. We're staying at my mother in law house and he's been in her garden and that's when the symptoms started.... What shall I do

Thank you. It's too late to induce emesis because Mickey is already symptomatic of such a toxicity. At this point, he's treated symptomatically and supportively by a 24-hour facility predicated upon his vital signs upon presentation. I would expect his being administered a sedating benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium) and activated charcoal (the universal antidote) stomach tubed into him. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in summary I should take him to a vet immediately? It's 1:30 am I'm the morning and I'm in unfamiliar city....

Unless he spontaneously calms down, it would be prudent to have him attended to. We don't know if he's going to improve, worsen, or stay the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Mickey, please?