nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Riki(mini pameranian) is choking because yesterday he

Customer Question

Hi. My dog Riki(mini pameranian) is choking because yesterday he ate grass today he is choking what can we do?
Erika
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he been continuously choking since the grass or intermittently?

Can he eat or drink? Can he keep these down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesterday he tried to eat alittle bit..When he is wolking then he starts choking but when he is a fast asleep is not choking for 10 minutes after again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is breathing like his nose is blocked right now
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Now grass can be quite an irritant to the throat. If you look closely, you can see that grass is quite rough with a number of tiny sandpaper like barbs. This means it can irritate and inflame the throat as it is eaten but sometimes can get stuck in the throat. Now its good that he can settled for a wee bit and isn't continuously being bothered by this, as that suggests we have irritation as opposed to a caught piece of grass. Therefore, we'd want to try to soothe his poor throat to settle the choking. To do so, you can use a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Afterwards, we'd want to plan to offer soft foods and monitor that congested nose just in case there is any grass caught up in the back of the nasal passage (though they often snuff and sneeze instead of choke). For that though, you can steam treat him (ie using steam from a warm shower, a nebulizer/humidifier, etc) and it can help to use non-medicated saline nasal drops to flush anything caught. Of course, if he doesnt' settle or is very irritated, then we'd want a check with his vet to ensure there is no grass caught anywhere and to have them start dog safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for Riki.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanku very much for your help
Eurika
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Eurika.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.