Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

My dogs stools are normal at first and then when finishing

Customer Question

My dogs stools are normal at first and then when finishing she has wet drops I have wormed her with Advercat and tape worm tablet. She is on a diet of chicken and rice or white fish but it has mad e no difference. Her behaviour is normal. I had noticed in the last few weeks she seems much more hungry than normal. She has no weight loss. She is a normal size Yorkshire Terrier of 5 years old. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

This can be a normal finding in dogs whereby the last voided faeces is more fluid and watery, so I wouldn't be worried. This is as long as Rosie is well happy bright alert and doesn't have diarrhoea, vomiting or any blood in the faeces. You could try bulking the faeces up a little with some bran (bran flake cereal is fine crumbled into the food, maybe 1/2 a tablespoon) Monitor her appetite if you feel it is definitely increased then she should be seen by your vet as sometimes conditions such as diabetes present like this, but I would expect her to be drinking excessively too!

Good luck and regards

Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to say, if you are concerned and do take Rosie to the vet, your vet may find it helpful if you take a faecal sample with you in case they wish to get it tested.

Dan