Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My whippet has been limping for the past 5 days. Her front

Customer Question

Hi my whippet has been limping for the past 5 days. Her front right paw is effected. Two days ago I managed to get a tiny round bit out which was em ended in the paw- but I am not sure if this is what was causing her to limp now as she is still limping. I have been immersing her foot in warm salt Walter acoie of times a day.My question is should I try wrapping her paw up and putting magnesium sulphate paste on the effected area to see it this draws anything out, as there is a tiny hole on her paw.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Katherine,

Sorry to hear Lilly has a problem, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Wrapping the paw and using magnesium sulphate paste certainly is not going to any harm, but if there is any degree of infection in the foot or an embedded foreign body of any kind no matter how small then in my experience prescription drugs such as antibiotics are almost certainly going to be needed. If things do not improve it may be best to have your vet take a look.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.