Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have chosen a puppy we would like to have, a Cockapoo. It

We have chosen a puppy we would like to have, a Cockapoo. It is 5 and a bit weeks old and we will not take it home until it is 8 weeks old. I notice it has very pronounced red/brown tear stains under his eyes (he is a cream colour) and when I asked for a photograph from the breeder yesterday (ours only has a head view as he was snuggled into my husband's arm when we first visited a week ago), his fur seems rather lacklustre compared to two other puppies in the litter. This may be because they are another colour and take their coat features from the cocker mother as opposed to the poodle father, but I am a little concerned, because his general appearance is less 'bouncy' and bright-eyed. What should we look out for on our next visit, in a week's time, please? Should we be concerned about the tear stains? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I wouldn't be as concerned about the tear staining, unless there is something else obviously wrong with the eyes. Make sure the white parts are very red, there is nothing obstructing the pupil, there is no discoloration to the cornea, there is no squinting, there is no red mass in the inner corner of the eye and there is no thick or colored discharge from the eye. The tear staining is common with the breed and may show up a lot more if his fur under the eyes is white. As far as the poor haircoat goes, make sure he is not the runt and is getting enough to eat. I would also be concerned about intestinal parasites (i.e.; hookworms, roundworms, Coccidia, etc) or external parasites like fleas. All the parasites are usually easily treated, but if he seems smaller than the others or is more withdrawn, there may be other issues to be concerned about. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. We will look out for these things on the next visit.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further questions.