Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My batch has blood in her wee

Customer Question

My batch has blood in her wee
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She's a bitch
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bubbles. The most common cause of hematuria (blood in the urine) is a simple bacterial infection of her urinary tract (UTI). Less commonly, calculi (stones) or transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra is found. In most cases her vet will want to perform a thorough urinalysis to see if the tell-tale signs of infection are present - bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - and if so, prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic for 10-14 days and then recheck Bubbles's urine 2 days after the course of antibiotic is completed to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Her vet may recommend a bacterial culture and sensitivity in order to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe particularly if Bubbles's urine is dilute. It's difficult to see bacteria and cells in a urinalysis of dilute urine.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks I will take her to the vets then

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.