Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 10week old Chihuahua he has been vomiting for the

I have a 10week old Chihuahua he has been vomiting for the last couple of hours, he is normally fun of life but he has gone quite quiet would be greatfull if someone could offer some advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is in the vomit?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first it was like he was bringing his food up than after a few times it was just like phlegm. He was in the garden with me for a bit but he didn't eat anything that I no of, no hes had no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Any other symptoms besides the vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he is just very guiet and not moved much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

I know you must be concern about Charlie, but, I am going to make some recommendations if he continues to vomit the next step is a hands-on examination by a veterinarian. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Give him a teaspoon of honey, pancake or Karo syrup directly into his mouth to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Then, leave him without food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for for your advice
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)