Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My rottweiller who is 7 years of age has started pooing

my rottweiller who is 7 years of age has started pooing blood it comes out like a fountain this started yesterday he has been lathargic for a oupl of days not wanting to go out gone of his food
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
U seem to be taking a long time to answer my question its been nearly a. Hour
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Edna. Storm needs to be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Such profuse bleeding as you've described (hematochezia) can arise secondary to neoplasia (cancer is relatively common in older Rotties), severe colitis (idiopathic/unknown cause, infectious (bacterial, parasitic)), inflammatory bowel disease, and coagulation disorders to name just a few possible etiologies. His lethargy may be due to progressive anemia and so time is of the essence. Anorexia is a nonspecific and nondiagnostic symptom. Storm's vet will want to thoroughly examine Storm including diagnsotics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as abdominal X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response I will take him to vet

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.