nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

UTI PAIN IN DOGS

Customer Question

UTI PAIN IN DOGS
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If a dog has UTI discomfort, we do need to tread with care. This can be due to the infection inflaming the bladder but can also be a hint of bladder stones, urinary crystals, and sometime bladder tumors. So, these would be other concerns to check for if your dog isn't responding to appropriate treatment with antibiotics.

Otherwise, the best option for UTI pain is to have your local vet dispense a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox. These can used bladder inflammation and discomfort quickly for dogs and often are dispensed with antibiotics in these cases. If your dog has been seen by their vet for the UTI, then you should only need to ring the vet to have this dispensed. Finally, as long as you have seen no blood with the UTI, your dog has no other health issues, and is on no other pain relief; then you could consider short term use of a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). This is only a mild pain relief for dogs (and cannot be used if they are passing blood since it is a blood thinner), but could be an option until your vet can dispense one of those better options.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello my Diabetic 8 year old Carin Terrier started last week experiencing severe pain around his bum area, especially after eating his dinner in the evening and after coming in from going for a pee, he paced the house, panting and very stressed and hiding for about 10 minutes then everything calmed down to where he was lying down and relaxed but still looking back at his butt. I took him to see our Vet immediately that night as being a diabetic you are more aware of his health and he physically checked him, prostate and anal glands all fine and I also brought urine and he said there was protein and blood in the urine so he has UTI. We started him on inflammatories and antibiotic however after 7 days the bouts of pain where still coming only in the evening so vet retested the urine and still protein so he gave much stronger antibiotic 2 a day 3 times a day. Since starting these on Monday there has been no episodes of pain like last week that has died down however he still is flinching now and again back at this bum area as if still getting the odd pinch of pain.. So my question is how long will it take for this all to subside as it is 2 weeks on Monday and would dogs experience this kind of pain with UTI? Also he is eating and drinking water as normal and his eyes are really bright (he had cataract surgery on both eyes last year!) he is in great form, and coat is shining... thanks for your help..Deirdre
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, Deirdre.

In regards ***** ***** further questions, it will depend on whether the UTI is all that is present (it doesn't sound like his vet looked for those other complications I noted). As well, it does depend how sensitive the infection is to the second antibiotic. If it is all that is present and the bacteria is fully sensitive, then usually 7-10 days after a proper effective course should help them settle. And we'd hope the flinching (which is likely his being worried about further pain as he has recently had) will settle as we treat as well. Though if he doesn't totally settle, then a urine culture (where they take the urine from the bladder sterily and send it to the lab for analysis) +/- an ultrasound to look for those other issues would be ideal so we ensure we are addressing this as effectively as possible and getting it fully settled for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr. B many thanks for your reply. He had Full blood work done 5 months ago and all blood work came back normal. If it was Bladder Stones/Tumors would we be seeing other outwardly effects and would something have shown up on the blood work then I wonder? My vet physically examined his kidney's and bladder and there was no swelling. Around 12 months ago he got a UTI and had back pain for about a week and would not jump up on anything after 7 days on antibiotics it resolved and he was fine after that. I am wondering also if it is possible for Dogs to feel the burning sensation associated with a UTI which was causing the episodes of pain after urinating? Thanks Deirdre
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello again.

The discomfort they have with bladder infections is just the same as us. So, he absolutely could have a burning sensation; though we'd expect the pain relief to be helping with that. Otherwise, unfortunately none of those above concerns would show on bloods. It would take feeling them (if severe in the bladder but crystals, moderate stones or a single stones would likely be missed) on exam or the use of xray or ultrasound. And I'd note that if he had signs like this before with back pain, kidney stones (again needing xray or ultrasound to find) would be another concern for his signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.